Other Programs

Did you know that the HealthSource RI online application is part of a larger system that helps you sign up for a range of state programs? You can also apply for these services:

  • Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
  • Cash Assistance (RI Works, Bridge Program)
  • Child Care Assistance Program (CCAP)
  • Medical Assistance (Including low-cost or free coverage through Medicaid)
  • State Supplemental Payments (SSP)
  • Medicare Premium Payments (MPP)

Below are some other state agencies that might be able to connect you with the services you need.

The Executive Office of Health and Human Services (EOHHS) offers these programs-

Healthcare coverage through Medicaid: Comprehensive healthcare coverage through Rhode Island Medicaid is available for eligible families on the RI Works Program, and eligible uninsured pregnant women, children, parents, and adults who meet income criteria. Once determined eligible for Medicaid, members enroll in a participating health plan: UnitedHealthcare Community Plan, Tufts Health Plan, or Neighborhood Health Plan of RI.

RIte Share: RIte Share is Rhode Island’s Premium Assistance Program that helps Medicaid eligible families obtain or maintain their employers sponsored health insurance. If you are eligible, the State will pay for some or all of the employee’s cost.  In order to know if you qualify for RIte Share, you must apply through HSRI and be determined eligible for Medicaid.

Non-MAGI Coverage Groups: This is a Medicaid group eligibility that is not subject to the modified adjusted gross income eligibility determination. The group includes Medicaid for persons who are aged, blind, or disabled and in need of long term services and supports as well as individuals who qualify for Medicaid based on their eligibility for another publicly funded program, including children in foster care and anyone receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or participating in a Medicare Premium Payment Program.

Katie Beckett: Katie Beckett is an eligibility category that allows certain children under age 19 whose income exceeds the traditional Medicaid guidelines who have long-term disabilities or complex medical needs to become eligible for Medicaid coverage. Criteria for Katie Beckett eligibility is that the child must be living in the home and must meet a hospital level of care.


The Rhode Island Department of Human Services (DHS) offers these additional services:

RI Works (RIW) Cash Assistance: The RIW Program gives cash assistance for a limited number of months to working families in need of support, as well as those who are unable to work, or in training or looking for a job. RIW cash assistance requires a face-to-face interview.

Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP): The SNAP program helps low-income households buy the food needed to stay healthy. You may be able to get SNAP benefits within 7 days if your household has little or no income, your rent or housing costs are higher than your income/resources, or if you are a seasonal or migrant farmworker. You will need to participate in an interview over the telephone or in the office before you can be granted SNAP benefits.

General Public Assistance (GPA) Program: GPA is available for adults age 19-64 years of age who have very limited income and resources and have an illness or medical condition that keeps them from working. Sometimes, adults who apply for Supplemental Security Income (SSI) but are not yet determined eligible, can receive GPA benefits while their disability determination review occurs. The GPA program covers primary care doctor’s office visits/ health centers visits and most generic prescription medications.

Child Care Assistance Program (CCAP): For parents that participate in the Rhode Island Works Program, there is no income limit for child care because if a family is eligible for RI Works, they already meet the income requirements for the Child Care Assistance Program (CCAP). For families not participating in the RI Works Program, eligibility for child care assistance is based on working at least 20 hours per week at or above Rhode Island’s minimum wage. Child Care Assistance is only available to families with earnings up to 180% of the federal poverty level for your family size and only available to cover hours of employment. Families may be required to pay a co-payment based on their family size, income level, and number of children.


General Public Assistance –

Burial Services: This program is designed to assist with burial costs when the deceased’s estate is not sufficient to pay for burial or cremation. For more information, please visit www.dhs.ri.gov.

The Office of Child Support Services:  The Office of Child Support Services establishes paternity, locates parents, and creates, changes, and enforces child support orders. The Office of Rehabilitation Services manages vocational rehabilitation, disability determination, and services for the blind and visually impaired.

The Division of Elderly Affairs: The Division of Elderly Affairs administers nutrition, information, home care, and protective services for elders. The Division of Veterans Affairs helps veterans through the RI Veterans Home, Veterans Services, and the RI Veterans Cemetery.

HealthSource RI connects you with health and dental insurance from these companies:

Individuals & Families: 1-855-840-4774
Employers & Employees: 1-855-683-6757