website accessibility

Reporting a change

If you’re enrolled in a health plan through Healthsource RI and you experience a life change, you should let us know as soon as possible.

What is a life change?

A life change is when something happens that changes your life in a big way, such as getting married/divorced, having a baby or losing your job. Other life changes include:

  • Your income goes up or down: HealthSource RI uses your income to calculate the amount of financial help you can receive to reduce your monthly bill. Any changes to your income will affect the amount of financial help you can receive.
  • Your family size changes: HealthSource RI also uses your family size to calculate the amount of financial help you might receive to reduce your monthly bill. If you add or drop a family member from coverage, it may affect the amount of financial help you receive.
  • You get pregnant: If you are pregnant you might qualify for free health insurance through Medicaid. Medicaid evaluates your income and family size differently when you are pregnant, so you might be able to get free insurance even if you didn’t qualify earlier.
  • You lost or gained access to health insurance: The ability to receive health insurance through an employer or the government (Medicare or Medicaid) affects your ability to get coverage and financial help through HealthSource RI.
  • Your immigration status changed: Some financial help is only available for people who have been legally present in the United States for five or more years. If your immigration status changes, let us know so we can determine your eligibility for financial help or assistance.

Why do I have to report these changes?

  • You can avoid a big bill at tax time. Some life changes affect your ability to receive financial help from HealthSource RI. If you qualify for less savings than you’re getting now, you might have to pay some or all of that money back to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) when you file your federal tax return.
  • You could qualify for more savings. Your life change might mean you qualify for more financial help to reduce the cost of your coverage. You might even qualify for free insurance through Medicaid. You want to make sure that you are paying the correct amount for your coverage, and no more.
Full list of changes to report
  • Changes to income
  • Changes in health coverage:
    • Includes cases when someone in your household gets an offer for job-based health insurance, even if they don’t enroll.
    • Someone in your household gets free coverage from a public program like Medicaid, CHIP, or Medicare
  • Someone in your household loses coverage, like job-based coverage or Medicaid
  • Changes to your household or individual members:
    • Birth or adoption
    • Placing a child for adoption or foster care
    • Becoming pregnant
    • Marriage or divorce
    • A child on your plan turning 26
    • Death
    • Gaining or losing a dependent some other way
    • Moving to a permanent address in your state.
  • Correction to name, date of birth, or Social Security number
  • Changes in status:
    • Change in disability status
    • Change of tax filing status
    • Change of citizenship or immigration status
    • Change in status as an American Indian/Alaska Native or tribal member
    • Incarceration or release from incarceration

How do I report a life change?

  • Log in to your secure HealthyRhode account
  • Call us at 1-855-840-HSRI (1-855-840-4774)

HealthSource RI connects you with health and dental insurance from these companies:

Individuals & Families: 1-855-840-4774
Employers & Employees: 1-855-683-6757