Special Enrollment Period
Did you know that you can sign up for health insurance any time your life changes and you need health insurance?
The open enrollment period for individuals and families has ended, but you may still qualify for a “Special enrollment period” to sign up right away. You might qualify if:
- You’ve lost your health insurance from an employer: You left a job with health insurance or were let go from a job with health insurance.
- Your employer changed your coverage: Your employer discontinued your health insurance or changed the coverage offered and you’re allowed to terminate that plan.
- Your household size has changed: You’ve gotten married, divorced or added a new child to your family (birth, adoption foster care placement).
- You’re new to Rhode Island: You’ve just moved from out of state and don’t have access to insurance through an employer.
- Your immigration status has changed: You are now a U.S. citizen or lawfully present in the U.S.
- You’re too old to be covered by your parents: You’ve been covered on your parents’ policy, but have recently turned 26.
- You’re no longer covered by another government health insurance plan: You were covered by RIte Care/Medicaid or veterans/military coverage but you are losing that coverage.
Please note: In most cases, you have 60 days from your life-changing event to enroll in coverage or update your plan.
Call 1-855-840-HSRI, visit our Walk-in center at 401 Wampanoag Trail, East Providence, or come by at one of our events to find out if these or other life changes qualify.
See below for more resources about Special Enrollment Periods.
HealthSource RI connects you with health and dental insurance from these companies: