Special Enrollment Period
*NEW FOR 2022* Special Enrollment Period Based on Household Income
Due to changes at the federal level, eligible Rhode Islanders who meet certain income and household requirements may now be eligible to enroll in coverage through HealthSource RI’s Special Enrollment Period. This is available starting February 2022 until December 31, 2022.
Even if you have not experienced a Qualifying Life Event (as listed below), you may still be eligible to enroll in coverage if you meet all of the following conditions:
- You are eligible to enroll in coverage through HealthSource RI,
- You qualify to receive financial assistance/ Advanced Tax Premium Credits to help lower your coverage costs, and
- Your household income does not exceed 150% of the Federal Poverty Level. Please refer to the table below:
If you or someone in your household meets all of these conditions, we can connect you to health coverage with financial help. Please note: your coverage will begin on the 1st of the month following your complete enrollment.
Special Enrollment Period Based on Qualifying Life Event(s)
Did you know that you can sign up for health coverage within 60 days of experiencing a Qualifying Life Event (QLE)? Don’t delay – get a quick quote today and see what financial help you may qualify for!
In most cases, you have sixty (60) days following your life event to enroll in coverage. For instance, if you moved to Rhode Island on April 1, 2022, you would have until May 30, 2022 to enroll in coverage. Remember: health coverage is required in the state of Rhode Island. Remember to get covered and stay covered all throughout the year to avoid a penalty when filing your tax returns.
PLEASE NOTE: The options listed below are not all the life events that may qualify you to enroll in coverage through our SEP. Call us at 1-855-840-4774 to see if you qualify.
If you have questions about coverage through HealthSource RI, or need help enrolling in coverage, there is more than one way to connect to support. You can:
- Attend one of our virtual Info Sessions and learn more about HealthSource RI, including how to enroll and what financial help you may be eligible for. For a full calendar of our events, CLICK HERE.
- Call 211 to connect with a Navigator for 1-on-1 enrollment support via phone, Zoom, or in-person. Navigators speak multiple languages and are available across Rhode Island.
- Make an appointment with a Navigator for 1-on-1 virtual enrollment support. CLICK HERE to reserve your appointment in advance.
- Use our live web chat (available in English and Spanish). Simply click on the blue “Chat with us” bubble in the bottom-right anywhere on our website.
- Call HealthSource RI at 1-855-840-4774. Our call center and live web chat are available Monday – Friday 8am – 6pm EST.
Starting February 1, 2022, HSRI offers a Special Enrollment Period for any individual experiencing a Qualifying Life Event (QLE). A QLE can include:
Losing your employer-sponsored health coverage
You lost or left a job that provided you with health coverage. Coverage through HSRI is likely more affordable than COBRA coverage.
Your immigration status has changed
You gained U.S. citizenship or lawfully present status (refugee, asylee, green card holder, etc.) making you newly eligible for a health plan. Learn more about which immigration statuses qualify for coverage through HSRI.
Your employer changed your coverage
Your employer discontinued your health insurance or changed the coverage offered.
You have aged off of your parent’s health coverage
You have been covered on your parent(s) policy, have recently turned 26, and are no longer eligible to be covered by their plan.
Your household size has changed
You have gotten married or divorced, or you have added or lost a dependent to your household via birth, adoption, foster care, child support, or court order.
You are no longer covered by another government health plan
You were covered by RIte Care/Medicaid or veterans/military coverage, but you are losing that coverage.
You have recently moved to Rhode Island
You’ve just moved from out of state and don’t have access to insurance through an employer.
You are a member of a federally recognized American Indian or Alaska Native tribe
You are eligible to enroll in a qualified health plan or change plans one time per month, year-round, including outside the annual open enrollment period. Non-tribal household members can also enroll in or change qualified health plans with a qualifying tribal member one time per month if they apply for coverage with the qualifying tribal member.
HealthSource RI connects you with health and dental insurance from these companies: